LORD ASHCROFT INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS SCHOOL
BSc (Hons) Tourism Management at the Lord Ashcroft International Business School
With its roots in economics, geography, sociology and urban planning, tourism is an interesting and exciting subject to study. Based in Cambridge, in the middle of a historic University City and world renowned tourist destination, you’ll explore the subject in depth, and apply what you’ve learned to real-life case studies helping to prepare for a career in a range of tourism-based industries.
While you’re here, your learning will be enhanced with study visits in the UK and overseas – including a field visit to a leading European urban tourism destination such as Paris, Barcelona, Bergamo and others. To complement your learning experience with us, you’ll also have the chance to learn Mandarin, French or Spanish and we will encourage you to undertake a work placement in relevant sectors of the industry to enhance your career prospects.
Our academics are passionate about sharing their experiences and expertise in mega events, food tourism, slow and sustainable tourism, arts, culture and heritage management among others. They’re also active members of research communities, meaning their knowledge is fresh, relevant and up to date. Our students are able to work with academic staff on real-life research and consultancy projects to further enhance their experience and future career prospects. We are members of the Association of Tourism in Higher Education (ATHE) and the BSc (Hons) Tourism Management is recognised by the Tourism Management Institute, a leading professional body in this field.
Our programme draws on this wealth of experience and expertise, helping you develop an understanding of tourism alongside an in depth study of core business principles.
In summary, prospective students on our BSc (Hons) Tourism Management degree will benefit from the following key features:
- The course inspires you to develop the relevant theoretical knowledge, as well as practical and transferable skills. Embracing communication, business and people management, research skills and development, and cross-cultural awareness, that are recognised by employers in industry and that can be applied to different tourism management environments
- Alongside tourism-specific subjects, the course provides a valuable business management background, allowing you to explore a wider range of career opportunities
- The course involves study visits in the UK and abroad, as well as a field course in a leading urban tourism destination, providing an opportunity to study the challenges involved in managing and planning responsible and sustainable tourism
- Offers a range of research-based expertise by academic staff in the areas of tourism mega events, slow and sustainable tourism, food tourism, tourism development, cultural and heritage tourism, ecotourism and tourism in developing countries, giving you a broad knowledge base
- Substantial tailored support, for example a personal tutoring system, advanced English language tutorials and study skills workshops provided to assist in your studies
- The opportunity to study abroad for a semester, practising a new language and providing additional experience
- The option for year-long work placement or shorter period of internships, giving you invaluable work experience and enhancing your employability