UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON
University of Southampton
Situated in a warm and green city on the south coast of England, and just over an hour away from London, the University of Southampton offers students a cosmopolitan and culturally diverse environment in which to study and live. The University has more than 24,500 students of which over 25% are from outside the UK representing more than 140 countries.
Southampton is a UK top 10 research-led University, ranked 81st by the QS World Rankings 2016, which places five subjects amongst the top 45 in the world: Nursing, Archaeology, Earth & Marine Sciences, Geography and Performing Arts.
Computer Science & Information Systems, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics & Astronomy and Statistics & Operational Research are all ranked within the top 10 in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2017).
The University is internationally renowned for its pioneering research, first class facilities and expert teaching. Southampton’s academic staff are at the cutting edge of their fields and have close links to business and industry. They provide a supportive and inspirational academic environment for our students, to equip them with the skills and knowledge needed for the 21st century.
Three of our professors have featured in the Times Higher Education ‘The UK’s 100 leading practising Scientists’ and many have been awarded honours by the Queen. Notable staff include:
- Professor Sir Christopher Snowdon, President and Vice-Chancellor, knighted for services to Engineering and Higher Education
- Professor Cyrus Cooper, Director of the Medical Research Council Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit
- Professor Dame Wendy Hall, founder of Web Science
- Professor Sir David Payne, International Research Leader in Photonics
- Professor Sir Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web
Our research address a wealth of global challenges including food security, web science, effects of air pollution, revolutionising rail infrastructure, tackling public health challenges, developing new approaches to the treatment of cancer and bringing sustainable energy to remote communities.
Southampton’s international reputation is due to its pioneering work in many areas and to support this we have a number of world-leading research facilities and centres such as the jet and rocket engine laboratories, wind tunnel complex, cleanroom complexes, Bloomberg trading suite, the National Oceanography Centre, the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, the Optoelectronics Research Centre and the Centre for Maritime Archaeology.
At Southampton, we pride ourselves on our close understanding of business and industry, helping us to ensure that our teaching and research is relevant to the needs of modern businesses. We collaborate with our research partners on projects that directly impact society, producing results that benefit industry, the economy and society. We currently work with more than 300 companies worldwide, including multinationals such as Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Microsoft, as well as public and third sector organisations and numerous small and medium-sized enterprises.
The city of Southampton is home to one of the UK’s leading commercial ports, which regularly hosts some of the largest ships in the world. Surrounded by areas of natural beauty such as the New Forest and the Isle of Wight, Southampton is easily reached from the international airports of Heathrow and Gatwick. Southampton Airport has flights to other cities in the UK and Europe, which means students can obtain a full cultural experience and broaden their horizons by travelling to other cities and countries.
Nearby is the historic and beautiful city of Winchester, which is also home to the Winchester School of Art. The cathedral city is a peaceful and relaxing place to live and study, and provides an attractive mix of authentic history, culture, top restaurants and many beautiful walking routes. It has great transport links – less than one hour to London and 20 minutes to Southampton – and is named as the best place to live in Britain (Sunday Times Best Places to Live 2016).
The University has excellent and contemporary facilities and services, including:
- 5 libraries with 3 million books and journals and 24 hour opening during term time
- 24 hour access to virtual learning
- State-of-the-art sports facilities including 25m pool, gym with 140 fitness stations, 8 court sports hall, dance studios, bouldering wall and an extensive range of fitness activities and classes
- One of the top 5 largest outdoor sporting facilities for a UK university including 76 acres of pitches
- Watersports centre which runs a wide range of Royal Yachting Association approved courses, gyms at several halls of residence and dedicated training space for students receiving the Sports Bursary or on the Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme
- 3 world-class arts venues, including the Nuffield Theatre, John Hansard Gallery and Turner Sims Concert Hall, plus a 330 seat cinema
- Over 300 different student groups, including over 80 sports clubs
- Student Services Centre to help you find the right support and information
- Careers and Employability Service offering CV and interview skills workshops, networking events, drop-in sessions, careers fairs and opportunities for internships, placements and volunteering
- The Advice Centre offering confidential and independent help
The University offers the following benefits to international students:
- Guaranteed accommodation for the duration of your course for undergraduate and first year of study for postgradute
- Free Uni-link bus pass for students in first year of university accommodation in Southampton
- International Student Advisors and an International Office offer help and support
- Free ‘Meet and greet’ service at Heathrow and Gatwick airports for first year students
- Welcome programme including tours, workshops and social events
- Centre for Language Study which provides free English classes to enrolled students
- Scholarships for all levels of students
- Fixed fees for each year of your programme, for up to 4 years, for 2016 and 2017 entry*
*programmes where clinical and non-clinical fees apply are exempt.
Indian Student Testimonial
‘Of all the universities I applied to I preferred Southampton as it had a greater ranking compared to others, with a good established image and reputation. Also it provided the exact course and curricculum that I wanted to learn, along with good staff support.
The best part of the University was the high level of management with regards to various aspects. Also the halls of residence provided by university are very safe. The on-campus staff of the halls are available 24 hours and are very cooperative. Also the University of Southampton provides various student support for careers, visa guidance, money matters etc.’
Apeksha Sharma, studying Fashion Design